Senior Advisor Joe.Beyers@ipcg.com
- University of Illinois, BS Computer Engineering, top of class
- University of Illinois, MS Electrical Engineering, top of class
- Post college additional education from Colorado State University, Golden Gate University, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, and University of Virgina’s Darden School of Business.
Joe Beyers is a Senior Advisor at ipCapital Group and has 40 years of experience developing and implementing worldwide intellectual asset management processes, advanced technology development, business strategy and negotiation processes. He leverages his experience to help a range of clients, particularly with large companies as well as small/start-ups to meet the challenge of an increasingly global competitive environment.
Previously Joe was a Vice President of Hewlett-Packard (HP) located in Fort Collins, Colorado and Palo Alto, California for 30 years. Afterwards, Joe built and/or led five IP/technology companies, including one that was Nasdaq listed. Three years ago, Joe partnered with John Cronin at ipCG to re-launch and build a sports betting IP licensing company.
Joe’s experience includes business-focused patent strategy development and implementation, IP litigation, business IP risk mediation, focused innovation, licensing, open innovation, joint venture IP issues management, mergers and acquisitions, acquisition due diligence, competitive intelligence, technology development strategies and company creation. Some career highlights include:
- Joe was in in charge of Intellectual Property at HP. As overseen by the HP CEO and the HP Board of Directors, Joe was responsible for patent development, strategy and monetization worldwide. He managed 33,000 patents and during the first three years he increased the HP licensing revenue from $35 million per year to $1 billion per year. Joe managed patents involving integrated circuits, computers, software, services, printing & imaging, LEDs, medical products and electronic instruments.
- At HP, Joe was viewed as one of the industry top key CIPOs (Chief IP Officer). Steve Jobs and Joe were on the cover (and with others) of the leading IP publication IAM where we were described as the top 20 people who transformed the IP industry in the last decade. .
- As a technologist, Joe led the creation of the worldwide most advanced single-chip microprocessor at the time. He has personally created inventions and patents involved in integrated circuits, superconductivity, energy generation, communications, sports betting and cryptocurrency.
- Joe has authored two chapters in books on intellectual property.
- Joe Beyers has a Bachelor of Computer Engineering and a Master of Electrical Engineering at the University of Illinois (#1 in his class in both degrees).
Examples of Patent Licensing/Monetization
Patent/Portfolio Licensing. Studied potential patent portfolios consistent with the business strategy of the related company technology, analyzed the portfolios that are potential licensing revenue opportunities, and studied the potential counter assertion risk to initiate a licensing program.
Standards Licensing. Joined or initiated potential standard licensing programs, including examples of CD, DVD and cell technologies.
Patent Divestitures: Identified patents that had a better ROI to sell patent portfolios to third parties than to retain.
Defensive Process: Identified patents/portfolios for potential acquisition for future licensing and in particular defensive actions. In particular, created and architected the Allied Security Trust (AST) and recruited 25 companies (now more) to purchase assets that could be a potential patent assertion risk to HP.