Invent Anything with John Cronin. In this series, John shares insights relating to invention, creativity, and intellectual property collected over 17 years at IBM (becoming its top inventor with over 100 patents and 150 patent publications) and 23 years as managing director of ipCapital Group (working with over 800 companies and approximately 15% of the Fortune 500, hundreds of mid-size companies and hundreds of startups and governmental laboratories).
Here are just a few of the topics covered in this show:
- How to create inventions that are new, useful, and non-obvious
- Using creativity tools to solve problems in business and innovation
- Ways to build or strengthen an intellectual property portfolio strategically
- Why you want to keep patents and trade secrets as an employee, manager, or executive
- Generating value from your IP through licensing, sale, fundraising, asset-based lending, and acquisitions
- How to create a culture of innovation at your company
- Current Events related to invention and intellectual property
- And much more
Episode 1 – Invention, Creativity, and Intellectual Property
TUES., FEB 16, 2021 – In the introductory episode, John discusses his background, topics that will be covered in future episodes, and his motivations for starting the series. Also discussed are different points of view on IP issues, from the employees, managers, executives, and IP attorneys. You can also read the transcript here.
Episode 2 – The Fundamentals of Creativity for Invention
TUES., FEB 23, 2021 – In this episode, John explains the fundamental ideas that underpin any creative process. Topics discussed include:
Types of creative motivation (extrinsic and intrinsic),
The effect of limitations and freedom,
Self-assessment of creativity,
How to become more creative,
How to motivate others to be more creative,
And much more…
You can also read the transcript here.
Episode 3 – Types of Creativity: Divergent and Convergent
TUES., MAR 2, 2021 – In the third installment, John discusses two major types of creativity: divergent and convergent. Divergent creativity is the process of creating a variety of many new ideas. Convergent creativity is the process of narrowing down the list to a few valuable ideas. Additional topics discussed in this episode:
- Alex Osborn and brainstorming
- Tony Buzan and mind maps
- Guidelines for Divergent and Convert creativity
- Management styles that may kill creativity
- Creativity tools for individuals, groups, and ‘secret facilitators’
- Differences in creativity for introverts and extroverts
- and much more…
Some of this material, including the divergent/convergent guidelines, was inspired by the work of others, see links below: http://www.learnexia.com/?http://www….